SUFI STORIES #1 ISLAM IS THE MISUNDERSTOOD RELIGION AND SUFIS ARE THE MISUNDERSTOOD MUSLIMS


 I entered the Sufi Path in 1988. In 1998 I received instructions to spread the message of Sufism openly.

The first person (a medical colleague) I told that I am a Sufi promptly gave me two books to read: 1) The Danger of Sufism, and 2) Why Sufis are Deviants (both in the Malay language).
The second person (a fellow Muslim activist) I told immediately questioned my credentials, as I do not have a strong Islamic background and I am certainly not an Islamic scholar.
These two early experiences made me realize that I have to find other ways to spread the message.
Then in 2003 The Star newspaper requested that I write a fortnightly column on Qigong (a Chinese health & healing exercise which I practise and teach). After 6 months (which was the original request), I was asked to continue writing. I soon ran out of topics to write about Qigong, and started writing about many other things, including snippets about Sufism. My "Art of Qi" and later "Art of Healing" column ran from 2003 to 2013.
I also tried to subtly introduce the topic of Sufism in conversations with those who seemed receptive.
Even then, one lady actually cancelled her registration for my Qigong Course because she found out I am a Sufi.
So you can see that Sufism is regarded as a deviant practice by many Muslims, and many Sufi tariqahs (paths) are officially banned in Malaysia.
Throughout history, Sufis have always been at odds with the non-Sufis, and the Sufis have always been persecuted.
I do not blame the non-Sufis, or the authorities who are only doing their job according to what they know. There are bad Muslims, and there are bad Sufis.
So for all these years, very few, except those who read my column (in The Star) regularly, know that I am a Sufi. And because many tariqahs (Sufi paths) have been banned here, the Sufis have gone underground.
Today (18.11.2020) I turn 65 . I have decided that FaceBook is a good channel to share some personal Sufi stories, at the risk of criticisms by Muslims who insist that Sufis (including me) are deviants. I do what I am commanded, so help me God!
For many Muslims, Islam has become nothing more than a set of beliefs with rituals that they follow fervently, but their characters do not change to become humble, loving, forgiving, and respectful to others (especially to non-Muslims).
Hence you find Muslim-majority Malaysia proudly calling itself a Muslim country, yet it is famous for corruption, kleptocracy, racist policies, official discrimination against its own citizens, and many other unIslamic practices.
Likewise most Arab and other Muslim countries also fail miserably in the "Islamicity Index" (how much they conform to Islamic teachings on values and governance). For 2019, the top Muslim country (UAE) appears at #44, followed by Malaysia at #45. Saudi Arabia, the self-appointed leader of the Muslim world, is at #77, and the median rank for Muslim countries is 109 (out of 151)!
And globally, Islam is associated with terrorism and failed states, instead of peace and success which it symbolizes.
If you read the life-stories of great Sufi Shaykhs (Masters) like Mawlana Rumi (1207-1273CE) and Hafez (1315-1390CE), may Allah's Mercy be upon them, you will find them full of love - for God, humanity and all creatures. And they emulated the Prophet's (Peace be upon him) practices (Sunnah) as much as possible, including how his Companions (may Allah be Pleased with them) learned from him not just through his words, but also by following his actions and character.
That is what I also found in my own Sufi masters (I have a few).
I believe that if more Muslims understand and follow the beautiful teachings of the Sufis, they will indeed become more peace-loving, respectful of others' rights, and successful in life.
The essence of Sufism is learning, understanding and practising Islam with Love, Compassion, Mercy and Wisdom. The beginning of its teachings is the moulding of a humble servant of Allah through purification of the heart, so that the servant serves Allah with sincerity and humility, devoid of pride and ulterior motives.
This branch of Islamic Knowledge/Practice is called "Tasawwuf", but you do not become a Sufi Shaykh through acquiring a PhD in the subject (there are many such scholars). Sufism is a way of both exoteric and esoteric learning and practice.
The esoteric spiritual lessons and experiences are not taught in formal classes. The Theologian and Sufi Mystic Imam Al-Ghazali (1058-1111CE) (may Allah's Mercy be upon him) wrote in his autobiography (Deliverance from Error/Al Munqidh min Al Dalal) that if he were to reveal all that he saw and experienced during his 10 years with the Sufis, then the readers may not believe him; and that it is difficult to describe these spiritual experiences accurately - you have to experience these yourself to understand.
Likewise, I can only share snippets of what I have experienced in my Sufi journey thus far. I will of course avoid revealing anything that attracts controversy, only those stories that many should be able to accept (but certainly not all).
See you at my next SUFI STORIES post!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUFI STORIES #4 THE VISIT BY SHAYKH ABDUL QADIR JILANI – THE SULTAN OF SUFI SAINTS

SUFI STORIES #18. SHAYKH AL-AKBAR IBN ‘ARABI – THE GREATEST SHAYKH & THE PRINCE OF ESOTERIC KNOWLEDGE

SUFI STORIES #28. FAITH & PSYCHIC HEALERS (& SURGEONS)